Clipped From The Minneapolis Star
PAROCHIAL LOOP IN TWENTY-FIRST YEAR The Knights of Columbus' baseball "baby" is 20 years old this springy and still going strong, Heading Into its twenty-first season,' the Parochial baseball league opens play May 8 with 22 teams organized In four divisions. In that time 5,000 boys have swung their bats In Parochial !"8gue play, and out of ths mass have come such athletes a Red Gleason, Taul Schaefer and Lefty Vanusek, among many others. Today uniforms and equip-ment are provided by the various, schools; the Hennepin-Minneapolis council furnishes umpires,' promotion and play-off expenses. ' THE REV. COLPJMAN Championship coach Original method of raising funds for the league was much more spectacular. A flying troupa of vaudeville enter- THIL KOHL League director tainers, made up of KC council members, gave performances at school auditoriums and SUCCEEDED IN .RAIS ING $1,500 TO EQUIP 12 TEAMS. ' That was in 1922, when kids the country over had their baseball imaginations fired by the deeds of the great Babe Ruth. Leaders in founding the league included Robert Brown, Earl Lawler, Jim Mullin, the Rev. Charles Doran and Billy Fox. Present chairman is Phil Kohl, a league aid for 15 years. First loop champion was Holy Cross. Defending champion is Holy Cross, which is out to duplicate the three-straight string hung up by Catholic Boys' home a few years back, under the coaching of the Rev. James R. Coleman.